Saturday, February 6, 2010

The More Things Change, The More They Stay the Same

A lot of people think I hate chemistry. This isn't altogether true, although I'm pretty sure I don't love it like certain people in the department do (or act like they do, it's sometimes hard to tell). Despite all of the ups and downs--and it feels like there have been many more downs than ups--I've never left the concentration for whatever reason, aside from the fact that sociology classes I was taking became increasingly annoying and inane (even though I still loved the material). If I were going to do college again I would do it all differently, but I suppose that's life. My GPA and my experiences are just what they are, and I'm sure (I hope) that in the end everything will all come together, and the little details won't matter anymore.

Anyway, the point is--tonight definitely encapsulated one of the reasons I am still a chemistry concentrator. A bunch of us went over to Dr. Tucci's house for dinner, met his lovely family, and sat around eating and talking. I hadn't made connections with much of the department after I made my close friends, so tonight was a great chance to connect with other people and realize that they are much friendlier and funnier than I thought. It's nice to be part of a community, even if it does only materialize in my last semester :)

No comments: